Predictive Models in Intereactive Music
Charles Martin - The Australian National University
Ngunnawal & Ngambri & Ngarigu Country
Predictive Musical Instruments
become a normal
part of musical performance and production.
Assist professional musicians & composers
Engage novice musicians & students
Create new kinds of music!
Physical Intelligent Instrument
Embodied Predictive Musical Instrument (EMPI)
Using Predictions to Make Music
- Emulate or enhance ensemble experience
- Engage in call-and-response improvisation
- Model a performer's personal style
- Modify/improve performance actions in place
Evaluating Predictive Instruments?
- Does the ML model make good predictions?
- Is this computationally practical?
- Is this useful to musicians?
IMPS works with traditional instruments too!