Ngunnawal & Ngambri & Ngarigu Country
Intelligent Musical Instruments
become a normal
part of musical performance and production.
Assist professional musicians & composers
Engage novice musicians & students
Create new kinds of music!
making intelligent musical predictions
Physical Intelligent Instrument
Mixture Density Network
Embodied Predictive Musical Instrument (EMPI)
- **Sound**: Pure Data (pd) running in headless mode
- **Predictions**: IMPS (running on RPi)
- **Interface to MCU**: MIDI over USB
Software starts on boot on the RPi, can configure over a network.
Using Predictions to Make Music
- Emulate or enhance ensemble experience
- Engage in call-and-response improvisation
- Model a performer's personal style
- Modify/improve performance actions in place
Evaluating Predictive Instruments?
- Does the ML model make good predictions?
- Is this computationally practical?
- Is this useful to musicians?